Ask A Question

How can I elect to defer tax on a gain if I have already filed my tax return?

  • Brad Cohen
    June 26, 2019

    File an amended return.

  • Brett Siglin
    June 26, 2019

    This will depend in part on the timing of the original gain.

  • Guy Maisnik
    June 26, 2019

    You would have to amend your return. Check with your accountant on the logistics and timing of that amendment.

  • Erik Kodesch
    June 20, 2019

    I am not sure. I would think you could file an amended return, provided that you still can satisfy the timing requirements for a QOF investment. However, I would need to further review the issue.

  • Jennifer Wesselman
    June 20, 2019

    I believe that you can amend your tax return to elect to defer the gain. Has your window for the 180-day period for QOF investment already passed?

  • Matthew Rappaport
    June 20, 2019

    By amending it, although you need to make sure you're compliant with the rules and regulations regarding deferral. Note you also extend the statute of limitations and nearly guarantee a human being will review the return, so make sure there's nothing else on it that might be subject to challenge.